July 14, 2012

Kjottkaker First Trial

Mommy woke up this morning with the excitement to try on a recipe, and it's everybody favorite. We usually have this particular dish at one of Daddy's Aunty. Mommy and Daddy called her Bi (short called for 'Bibi' or 'Aunty' in English) Nci, but you my darling Angels are calling her 'Oma Sri'. It's Kjottkaker. It's a Norway Meatballs dish, served with delicious Brown Gravy and Boiled Potatoes. Oh yes, it's a Big Hit for us, unfortunately we have to go to Bogor first to enjoy these yummy meatballs :(

It made me wonder if Kjottkaker is easy to make? Or is the ingredients are easy to get??? So, thank you to the Internet and thank you to uncle Google (and how do I know if 'Google' is a men?), I found the recipe....yeayy! And now I know that almost all countries in Europe have this 'Meatballs with Gravy" dish, with the same basic ingredients, but of course it's named differently in each countries. Like in Norway it's called Kjottkaker. The ingredients are turns out easy to get on my local supermarket, they are :

For the Meatballs : Ground Beef, Onion, Butter, Salt, Pepper, Ground Nutmeg, Breads, Milk, Eggs
For the Gravy   : Butter, Onion, Cornflour, Beef stock, Salt, Sour cream, and later on I add some Sugar.

How to cook :
  • Basically you mix all the Meatballs ingredients (earlier, soaked pieces of breads into the milk, I use skimmed milk). Then shape the mixture into meatballs, my sizes are 2 inch of diameters (or as big as my inner palm).
  • Heat some butter to brown the Meatballs. Do this in batches. Then aside the browned Meatballs.

  • Using the same pan, fried onion with butter. Add the cornflour, and stir. Keep on stirring until the flour cook and has the colour of coffee cream then slowly add the Beef stock. 
  • Keep on stirring until the sauce is solidify and silky. Add the meatballs and cook them in low heat for around 10 minutes. If you making for a large scale then again do this in batches.

Served The Kjottkaker with boiled potatoes (with skin or no skin) and Lingonberry, that's the original ways to served it. But since Lingonberry is very rare (and if there is must be expensive) in my local supermarket, so I improvised with Strawberry jam :p. I really sorry to all the Norway people out there (if you happen to read this post), I didn't mean to ruin your traditional recipe, but I really liked to experience to eat Kjottkaker in it original way to served (like the Viking does!?) as close as I can....so, I have only Strawberry jam, then Strawberry jam it is... :D


Finally, this is Mommy's Kjottkaker first trial....Bon Appetite ;)



The Quality Testers


One happy testers and one happy costumer



I passed the test! Yeayyy...!!! Alhamdulillah, everybody likes it. Isn't it great when you succeeded on trying new recipes, and your family eat them all to the last bite?! 



And these are random pictures I shot earlier in the morning...they're so adorable, and I love them with all my life... :*





ps : I didn't include my measurements, because I didn't exactly followed the recipe's sizes (yes I'm the lady-who's-always-mixed-up-with-measurements). But I looked for guidance from here and here.

pps : Note for my next Kjottkaker, my Gravy should be more thick, and the Onion should finely chopped...ok, got it!

No comments: